In the Bookcase

6/17/2017

Author Interview! Sarah Holman on Courage and Corruption

Hi readers,

Today I'm talking with author Sarah Holman about her book Courage and Corruption. It is the most recently published title in her Tales of Taelis series. Plus, watch out for the next book due out by July!


Courage and Corruption by Sarah Holman (5 star review)


Courage and Corruption

written by Sarah Holman

161 pages // published in 2016 // Christian YA


BOOK DESCRIPTION

Catherine is going with her mother and younger siblings to the mountains to hide from the coming war. While she fears what might happen she is looking forward to some time away from her twin brother, with whom she often fights. One foolish act changes all their plans, and one story caused not only confusion, but more fighting.

Christopher does not believe his father’s story that they are descended from royalty. He is sure the story his father tells cannot be true. However, he is forced to go to the mountain castle of Coraway along with his mother and siblings. Will his father ever see him as a man? Will he and his twin ever be able to stop fighting?

Little do Catherine and Christopher realize that they hold the key to Taelis’ future in their hands. While they discover the truth before it is too late?



I've already read Courage and Corruption myself, and I enjoyed it. Be sure to take a look at MY REVIEW of the book, and check out book #3 of this series for yourself! It's a historical-inspired series, each book showcasing excellent biblical morals.

Well, let's get the interview questions going! >>



TARISSA: Sarah, let's talk about your most recently released novel in the Taelis series, since the next one to be published is not too far away. So, Catherine or Christopher? Can you personally identify with one more than the other -- or with a different character in this tale?

 
SARAH: I can identify with both of them, as well as Jacob. I have gone through time that I felt the rage welling inside of me and I couldn't control it. I have acted the part of the martyr and struggled with the injustice of how people have treated me, like Catherine. I am striving to become the peacemaker that Jacob is. Through it all, I found that surrender to God every day was the way to combat my issues. It's a hard lesson to learn.

 
TARISSA: Great answer! That's why I liked this book so much too, because there's some good lessons to be learned for all.
 


"I have tried, Christopher. There are so many things that I have tried to teach you and Catherine, but I have failed. You have more need of responsibility than you realize, but you refuse to develop it."



TARISSA: When I read Courage and Corruption myself, my favorite character was Cousin Edwin, storyteller master. He always had a story to share at just the right time. Did you have any particular inspiration behind Cousin Edwin's character or any of his stories?

 
SARAH: Courage and Corruption is actually a remake of an earlier story I had written. I don't remember the original inspiration for the character, but coming from a family of storytellers might have something to do with it.
 


"I think the lad can sense the stories that lay embedded in the stone walls."



TARISSA: If I'm remembering right, it seems that you already have an exact novel count planned out for the Tales of Taelis series. So, JUST HOW MANY novels do you have planned?

 
SARAH: The plan (as of now) is to have 24 books in the series based off all letters of the alphabet except Q and X. I have stories planned for most of those books, but as I write more, the series changes and so do the stories so we shall see. ;)
 
TARISSA: It's cool to see a bit of what goes on in an author's mind while they plot out a series! So what was your method in coming up with an arcing plot that would stretch over that many novels?

 
SARAH: Some of it is based off an old series I started when I was 11. The whole storyline that spans from Adventures and Adversities to Courage and Corruption was a direct result of that. However, most of the story seems to come about on its own and I go "Hey! I can use that in the next story." I'm not as much of a planner as you would suspect from the length of the series.
 


"Our king is dying and has no children to take his place. All over the kingdom, nobility are preparing for war and choosing whom they will support as the next king. The time may be soon to tell them that the long lost prince lives."



TARISSA: That's interesting to know! Okay. Time for a FUN QUESTION! >> What secret/special talents do you have that the people of Taelis might have done too? (Have you ever practiced archery? Ridden a horse? Corralled sheep? Do you play an instrument that Taelis people could recognize?) Share with your readers!

 
SARAH: I have taken care of goats quite a bit. Our family had goats when I was young and it was my job to milk them. I loved getting up early and having the quiet time while doing that task. I also love to garden and know what it takes. I am so glad that my family doesn't depend on my growing enough to feed us! I have ridden a horse and played around with a bow and arrow, which were both fun and helpful for research.

 
TARISSA: That all sounds like a variety of fun activities! Yes, including milking goats... I'd like to try it one day!

Well, thanks for joining me again, Sarah, to talk about your books. Until next time. ;)
 




Available on Amazon in e-book format.

Add to Goodreads


Author bio:
Sarah Holman is a not so typical mid-twenties girl: A homeschool graduate, sister to six awesome siblings, and author of many published books and short stories. If there is anything adventuresome about her life, it is because she serves a God with a destiny bigger than anything she could have imagined.

Author Sarah Holman

Visit the author online!
BlogFacebookTwitterPinterestGoodreadsLinkedin

All quoted material comes from the book.



1 comment:

  1. Oooh! What a fun interview to read!

    I have milked goats by the way, and Tarissa, you're not missing out. :-P

    ReplyDelete